I’ve been making flavored water for a long time because, let’s face it, plain water is just boring. The subtle flavors of the various fruits in it definitely helps me drink more water! And the fact that my additions also contain properties that are extremely beneficial to my body is a ginormous plus!
This Refreshing and Slimming Detox Water Recipe is loaded with tons of great ingredients! And speaking of great – that’s exactly how it tastes! Before my daily morning run, I like making this water in a large pitcher so that it’s ready for me when I get back. I literally sip on it all day long!
First time making infused water?
For the best results of this and any infused water, follow these simples steps.
- Infuse for 2+ hours. The flavors and nutrients won’t infuse into the water straight away. I generally make my detox water the night before and let it infuse in the fridge overnight.
- Infuse at room temp. Basic chemistry says that water based reactions happen faster at higher temperatures. Let your water sit at room temperature if you want to speed up the infusion – just don’t leave it out for more than a few hours unrefrigerated.
- Thinly slice. Another way to speed up the infusion process is to thinly slice your ingredients. This makes it easier for the water to soak through and absorb all the wonderful nutrients and flavors!
- Use a glass pitcher. This tip is really important. Acidic ingredients like lemon can eat away at plastic containers — especially over long periods of time — while you let your water infuse. The last thing you want in your healthy detox water is a bunch of nasty plastic chemicals, so be sure to use a glass pitcher. (This one is my personal fave!)
The health benefits:
The bennies of this Refreshing and Slimming Detox Water:
- Water: The most important ingredient is water! We all know that water is good for us and we also have heard it’s great for weight loss! Keeping hydrated boosts metabolism, aids in digestion, helps fill you up. (Not to mention drinking water is great for skin too).
- Lemon and Lime: These citrus juices help with digestion and relieve bloating. (They have qualities similar to our own digestive enzymes).
- Ginger: Ginger naturally calms the belly. The benefits of ginger are endless! It has anti-inflammatory properties, can help with fat burning and even boosts your immune system!
- Oranges: Of course oranges contain Vitamin C ,but that’s not all; the carotenoids and flavonoids in oranges help eliminate toxins and stimulate the immune system.
- Mint: Mint stimulates the digestive enzymes, soothes the belly and aids in digestion (and adds a great flavor!)
- Cucumber: Cucumbers contain lots of vitamin A (antioxidants), C and the B vitamins. They are known for flushing out toxins! In addition, the electrolytes in cucumbers can reduce water retention!
Of course water is not a magic weight loss pill, but drinking more water has been proven to be effective in weight loss. So, why not add in some wonderful ingredients that not only taste great but have added benefits!
Refreshing Citrus And Mint Detox Water
- 1 orange
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cucumber
- 3-1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 25 mint leaves
- 4-6 cups ice
- Water add more or less to taste
- Slice the fruit, cucumbers, and ginger.
- Fill a 3 qt. container or beverage dispenser layering ice and the ingredients. Top to 1 gallon with cold water (or less if you want a stronger flavor).
- Let steep for at least a couple of hours.
- Enjoy, with or without some of the fruit in your glass.