If there’s one thing I learned about myself during my health and fitness journey, it’s that I absolutely must have snacks available (like these yummy energy bites) or I can get “hangry”.
Thankfully, I work out of my house a lot, so it’s pretty easy to grab snacks. To avoid hunger meltdowns, I started making my own little energy bites and trail mixes to bring with me anywhere I go. Not only are they a life saver, but they also help me make better food choices (instead of reaching for junk food).
These tasty bites are my latest creation and loaded with some of my favorite things: peanut butter, coconut, flaxseed, chia seed, and even a little chocolate. I’ve also made them with almond butter, but to me, peanut butter just goes better with the chocolate.
Anyway, I highly recommend whipping up a batch (or two) of these for your snacking. They take 5 minutes tops and you have yourself a nutritious, homemade snack with healthy fats, omega-3 (thanks to chia + flax) and 5g of protein per serving!
Bonus points: They’re freezer friendly. YAAAASSSS!
Peanut Butter And Chocolate Protein Bites
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut palm syrup or raw honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup your favorite protein powder
- ⅓ cup flaxseed meal
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp mini chocolate chips vegan, if desired
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- In a large bowl, mix together peanut butter, coconut palm syrup and vanilla extract until well combined. Add in protein powder, coconut, flaxseed meal, oats, chocolate chips and chia seeds. Mix until well combined.
- Form the dough into 12 balls. (Depending on the peanut butter consistency, you may need to add a little bit more to help the dough stick.
- Eat them right away (you'll want to, too!), or place in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.