Hello, my name is Dana, and I’m a chex mix-aholic. Lol! All kidding aside, Chex Mix has been a fave of mine since, well, forever (the original flavor, especially!)
Because I’m such a fan the salty-sweet combination, I decided to create my own, using Chex Mix as a kind of “snack template”. This version has a perfect ratio of savory to sweet, packed with Chex Mix, Bugles, nuts and some M&Ms as a sweet bonus.
Well, I can’t stop eating it. I made it for our end of season league party that I hosted last month. It was such a nice balance to all of the other goodies, and it’s the perfect nibble when you’ve got a cold beer or a glass of champagne in your hand.
Everyone at the party wanted the recipe, so I thought I’d share it with y’all :-)
Sweet 'N Salty Snack Mix
- 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 4 cups Bugles original flavor
- 1 cup salted pretzels mini
- 1 cup pecans halved
- ¾ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- ½ cup butter salted
- 3 tbsp corn syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt fine
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 5 ½ cups M&M candies plain
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray large roasting pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine corn snacks, cereal, pretzels and pecans in prepared pan; set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt in 2-quart heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda. Pour syrup mixture over cereal mixture in pan; toss to coat.
- Bake 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until coating is set. Remove from oven; stir.
- Spread mixture onto waxed paper. Cool completely; stir in chocolate pieces. Break into pieces.
- Store in container with tight-fitting lid for up to 1 week.